An innovative technology that’s less than three decades old, Invisalign was the brainchild of Zia Chisti, who was a graduate of Stanford University. With the help of three partners, two of which were Stanford alumni, he started Align Technology in 1997. Although none of the four had any experience in orthodontics, they were able to obtain FDA approval for their Invisalign system of braces and successfully market it through the use of an aggressive advertising campaign.
Now, millions of people throughout the world have successfully used their Invisalign system to achieve straighter teeth and more beautiful smiles without the inconvenience of metal braces. One of the benefits that has made Invisalign so popular is that they’re virtually invisible. Allegedly, the following was a marketing strategy: The designers wore Invisalign trays throughout their presentation and then removed them in front of the prospective investors. This strategy was so successful that they signed up numerous investors on the spot. Although there are other types of braces, the Invisalign definition has become synonymous with invisible braces that are also comfortable and effective.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign uses a system of plastic trays that gently reshape teeth that are not severely misaligned. Although severe misalignment doesn’t preclude the use of the Invisalign system, the procedure may be more costly and more difficult.
The trays are changed periodically, usually every two weeks, so that the realignment process is gradual, effective, and painless. The Invisalign timeline may be somewhat shorter than that of traditional braces, but it will vary by the individual and the degree of correction needed. Not everyone will respond to the Invisalign system in the same manner, but the trays must be worn between 20 and 22 hours daily to achieve the benefits
. A retainer needs to be worn for a period that your dentist will specify, but it’s usually up to a year. This ensures that the teeth don’t revert to their previous misalignment.
The Invisalign system can only be obtained through a dentist who is licensed and certified in the procedure. Not all dentists have this certification, but if you live in the Houston Texas area, Zara Dental
can provide you with Invisalign or traditional braces.
Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign’s revolutionary system of realigning teeth has been used successfully for almost three decades, with millions of satisfied patients throughout the world. Its success rate is similar to that of traditional dentures, but it depends in part on the dedication of the patient who is wearing their aligner trays as well as the degree of adjustment that’s needed.
Unlike traditional metal braces that can only be removed by a dentist, you must remove the Invisalign trays whenever you eat or drink, and then replace them after you’ve brushed and flossed. When oral hygiene is insufficient, then the trays can deteriorate, and dental caries can form on the teeth. The recommended wearing time is between 20 and 22 hours daily, including when you sleep. Good oral hygiene is essential in order to maintain the trays in good condition and to prevent additional dental issues, such as cavities, from developing.
What Is The Best Age For Invisalign?
Although the Invisalign system can be used on young children, it usually isn’t. Generally, the best age for Invisalign is from late teens throughout adulthood. There’s no upper age limit for using Invisalign. It has an excellent success rate with many middle-aged and older adults, and this demographic accounts for many Invisalign patients. Older adults who needed braces but couldn’t afford them when they were raising a family and building a career are thrilled that they can finally achieve the straight, even teeth they’ve always wanted but without the obvious mechanics of traditional metal braces.
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
Although several factors will affect your ultimate Invisalign vs braces cost, the average cost of Invisalign
is about the same as that of traditional metal braces. Your dental professional at Zara Dental in Houston Texas will provide you with a cost estimate of Invisalign versus braces during your initial consultation. However, the price difference is usually minimal.
What’s The Best Age For Braces?
Usually, the best age for children to start wearing braces is between 12 to 14 years old. For braces to be effective, all of the adult teeth need to be fully erupted, which usually happens by this age. If treatment is started too early, it can be less effective and require additional treatment time.
The best age for Invisalign, however, is in an older range, although it’s occasionally used on children who are between 6 and 10 years old. Younger children may not be able to remove and replace their aligner trays as needed; they may also lack the self-discipline that’s required for care and maintenance of the trays and their oral hygiene. Also, their permanent teeth need to be fully settled before using the trays.
Is Invisalign As Good As Braces?
Invisalign is a system of braces. The main differences between the two are the comfort level and the aesthetics. Both Invisalign and traditional metal braces are designed to permanently adjust misaligned teeth, but some corrections can be made only with traditional metal braces. Since the metal brackets and wires of traditional metal braces can be uncomfortable, many opt for the Invisalign system if it will work for them.
Is Invisalign Worth It?
Many older adults who are settled in their careers, as well as those who are starting a new career or are starting over, want straight, even teeth but may not have been able to afford them when they were younger. So clear, comfortable trays instead of adult braces
may be the best treatment option for them. The trays are invisible, so no one will know that you’re wearing adult braces, but your teeth will gradually become straight and even.
What Are The Pros And Cons of Invisalign Compared To Braces?
There are both benefits and drawbacks to both types of braces. Some of the pros and cons of traditional braces vs Invisalign are:
- The Invisalign price vs regular braces is usually very similar, but traditional metal braces may be somewhat less expensive.
- The duration of the Invisalign treatment may be somewhat shorter than that for traditional braces.
- Traditional braces may be more suitable for younger children because of the self-discipline involved in caring for the Invisalign aligner trays.
- Invisalign may be slightly more expensive than traditional metal braces, but they’re more popular for adult braces, especially when the cost is a secondary consideration. They’re also more comfortable.
- The Invisalign trays are virtually invisible, whereas traditional metal braces are very obvious.
Braces vs. Invisalign: Which Is Better?
The answer to this question will depend on several factors, such as:
- Your age: Usually, the best age for braces is when the last permanent tooth has completely erupted. Younger children may not be able to remove and replace the Invisalign trays without supervision. Invisalign is more often used for older teens and adults who want to improve their smile without the obvious existence of braces.
- The cost: Traditional metal braces are the least expensive, but the treatment duration can be somewhat longer. Depending on the degree of misalignment, your braces cost can be significantly more if you have severely misaligned teeth, which may preclude you from using aligner trays.
- Dental status: Not everyone is a good candidate for Invisalign, but your dentist will advise you if it’s an appropriate solution for you. Severe malocclusion and some other dental issues may make the Invisalign system unsuitable for you.
- Your dedication: Invisalign trays require assiduous attention to your oral hygiene and your eating habits. Hot foods or beverages can warp the plastic, so you need to remove your trays before eating and drinking, and you need to use excellent oral hygiene to keep bacteria from forming on your teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, you can remove the trays anytime, but you need to wear them between 20 and 22 hours each day for them to be effective.
Still Unsure If You Want Invisalign Instead Of Braces?
If you’re still undecided which option would be better for you, braces vs. Invisalign, then call Zara Dental
in Houston Texas and schedule an appointment. We’ll be glad to answer all your questions about the average cost of Invisalign, the best age for braces, and any other questions you have. You can schedule your appointment online, or you can call us at 713-766-1122 to make an appointment by phone and ask any questions you have.
Located at 6295 Bissonnet Street in Houston, Zara Dental provides some of the best dental services in Houston. We use state-of-the-art techniques and practices, so you can be assured that you’ll receive the highest quality service from us. Call us today; you’ll be glad you did. We look forward to speaking with you and working with you, so give us a call!